selection procedure for the BAM database22/12/2006
Adding artists and organisations in the professional visual and audiovisual arts to the online database is subject to several selection criteria*. For the time being only subsidised organisations (with the exception of promotional galleries) and artists who circulate in the subsidised and gallery circuit will be included.
Artists and organisations who think they meet the following criteria should contact Eva Peeters (firstname.lastname@example.org). Artists are requested to send a CV and/or year and description of grants already received under the Arts Act (visual arts or audiovisual arts) or by the FilmLab of the Flanders Audiovisual Fund (see below). New applications are regularly considered, and the artists and organisations are then informed of the decision.
If an artist or organisation is rejected, they may always submit a new application once they are able to meet the selection criteria.
The database is limited in content and therefore does not give a full picture of the professional visual and media arts field.
* Curators, critics, researchers etc. are not selected on the basis of selection criteria.
If you are an artist your name will be included in the database if you are Flemish or live in Flanders and have been involved with the art scene in the Flemish Community for at least three years and if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You have received a project grant or development grant from the Flemish Community (Kunstendecreet - Arts Act, visual or audiovisual arts; FilmLab by VAF) in the last five years.
- You have exhibited your work several times at organisations for the (audio)visual arts or similar initiatives (festivals, workshops, etc.) which are subsidised by the Flemish Community under the Arts Act. Here too this applies to the last five years.
- You are represented by one of these galleries and you have exhibited your work there at least once in the past 4 years. Guest exhibitions do not count; the artist must be permanently associated with the gallery.
Should you fail to meet a criterion, or in case of doubt, an external committee will be consulted.
An organisation will be incorporated into the database if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
- It is subsidised by the Flemish Community (Kunstendecreet - Arts Act).
- The activities relevant to this website and in which the organisation is involved, are the contemporary professional (audio)visual arts.
Should you fail to meet a criterion or in case of doubt, an external committee will be consulted.
Galleries are not subsidised but can be included in the online database if they meet the following profile:
The gallery has been open for at least one year and is permanently associated with several artists whom it also represents. It promotes these artists both nationally and internationally. It collaborates permanently with them by regularly holding solo exhibitions of their work, and supports artists by providing them with services and career guidance. The gallery focuses not only on sales but also aspires to anchor the artist in the professional arts field.
Galleries can also promote their activities on the Cultuurdatabank.
Should you fail to meet this criterion or in case of doubt, an external committee will be consulted.