BAM is the Flemish institute for visual, audiovisual and media art in Belgium.
BAM's mission is to support the visual, audiovisual and media arts sector by providing information, analysing the sector's needs, and stimulating the practice of artists and art organisations. BAM has chosen for a broad and inclusive vision – the target sector must be as wide-ranging as possible.
BAM focuses on the artistic and career development of artists, on the position of artists and art organisations in a changing society, on sustainable international relationships, and on broad societal support for visual, audiovisual and media art. It encourages collaboration, exchange and knowledge sharing within the visual arts sector and across boundaries with other domains.
BAM favours an open and transparent approach which stresses consultation and debate with partners and peers. BAM aims at contributing to an ambitious Flemish art scene that leaves room for artistic experimentation and ensures its place on the international stage.
- by mapping key players and networks
- by sharing and publishing knowledge and information
- needs in art practice, organisations and policy
- societal developments
- research and policy agendas
- the role, work method and capacities of organisations
- new work practices, partnerships and networks of artists and organisations
- self-organisation and entrepreneurship
- critical reflection on the sector and the construction of a long-term vision
- ongoing discussion about the sector
BAM is funded by the Flemish Community and is based in Ghent, Belgium.